Friday 20 June 2014

Book Beginnings On Fridays (If I Knew You Were Going To Be This Beautiful I Never Would Have Let You Go)

Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader and as she says the idea of this meme is for you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. There's a linky list on the website and you can use #BookBeginnings on Twitter.

 

If I Knew You Were Going To Be This Beautiful I Never Would Have Let You Go by Judy Chicurel

 

So she says to me, 'Young man, you got maniacs hanging around your store,' and I tell her, 'You're right, lady, you're a hundred percent right. I got maniacs outside my store, I got them inside my store, I got maniacs on the roof,' I tell her.

 

If I Knew You Were Going To Be This Beautiful, I Never Would Have Let You Go 

 

Book Description:

 

It is the summer of 1972, and Katie has just turned eighteen. Katie and her town, Elephant Beach, are both on the verge: Katie of adulthood, and Elephant Beach of gentrification. But not yet: Elephant Beach is still gritty, working-class, close-knit. And Katie spends her time smoking and drinking with her friends, dreaming about a boy just back from Vietnam who’s still fighting a battle Katie can’t understand.  Impeccably crafted and hugely affectionate, this novel in stories is a vivid portrait of a place whose conflicts—between mothers and daughters, men and women, haves and have-nots— reverberate to our own time.

 

Published by Tinder Press on 30th October 2014  

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting! I love the conversational tone of the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of the book is great to begin with, and I agree with Katherine, the conversational tone at the beginning is brilliant!

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.