Friday 7 March 2014

Book Beginnings On Fridays (Ghost On Black Mountain)

Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader and as she says the idea of this meme is for you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. There's a linky list on the website and you can use #BookBeginnings on Twitter.

   

Ghost On Black Mountain by Ann Hite:

 

Mama warned me against marrying Hobbs Pritchard. She saw my future in her tea leaves: death. I was young, only seventeen, and thought I knew all there was to know about life. Nobody could tell me different. 

 

Ghost on Black Mountain 

 Book Description: 

Nellie Clay married Hobbs Pritchard without even noticing he was a spell conjured into a man, a walking, talking ghost story. But her mama knew. She saw it in her tea leaves: death. Folks told Nellie to get off the mountain while she could, to go back home before it was too late. Hobbs wasn’t nothing but trouble. He’d even killed a man. No telling what else. That mountain was haunted, and soon enough, Nellie would feel it too. One way or another, Hobbs would get what was coming to him. The ghosts would see to that. . . .
Told in the stunning voices of five women whose lives are inextricably bound when a murder takes place in rural Depression-era North Carolina, Ann Hite’s unforgettable debut spans generations and conjures the best of Southern folk-lore—mystery, spirits, hoodoo, and the incomparable beauty of the Appalachian landscape.
 

5 comments:

  1. That's an awesome beginning! It sure grabbed my attention!

    My post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am intrigued and am gonna check it out!

    Here is my Book Beginning post!

    AND

    Here is my Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, at seventeen, we seldom can see the signs! This book sounds good...thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY FRIDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to buy this book! It sounds like a story that will keep me reading late into the night.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: THE MERMAIDS SINGING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds unusual. Hope you enjoy it. Here is my post: Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.