Friday 19 July 2013

A Gift Upon The Shore by M.K. Wren

A Gift Upon The Shore was originally published in 1990 and has been out of print for a while, it has just been released in ebook form and I was given a copy by Netgalley to review:

A Gift Upon the Shore
The novel starts just before Armageddon (a nuclear war followed by a plague type virus) when Mary Hope is travelling along the American coast on a bus that is attacked, she manages to get away but is injured. Rachel Morrow finds Mary and takes her back to her house to look after her and this is the beginning of a long friendship for these two survivors. One of the things they agree on is to preserve books so that future generations will be able to learn from them.

Post apocalyptic fiction is one of my favourite genres and I've always preferred the non zombie tales of which there are so many. This story is an easy read and is told from Mary's point of view with the chapters alternating between the present and the past. Mary is telling her past life story to a teenage boy called Stephen who now lives with her and others in their community.

The downside for me was the anti-christian feeling the book had made it seem preachy and I'm not religious. This started to annoy me and I found it dull and almost gave up halfway through, I'm glad I stuck with it though because although for me it's not among the best post apocalyptic books it's worth a read if you enjoy that genre.

Rating 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.