Sunday 21 December 2014

The Life I Left Behind by Colette McBeth

I'm the only one who knows the secrets her friends have hidden, the mistakes the police have made.
I'm the only one who can warn her she's still in danger.
I know exactly who attacked her.
He's the same man who killed me.

 

The Life I Left Behind

 

This psychological thriller/whodunnit novel is told through the voices of three women. The first one, Eve, is actually dead, the victim of a murder. The second, Melody, was attacked and left for dead by the same culprit a few years before. Due to her injuries she's unable to remember what happened to her on that fateful night. A friend of hers, David Alden, was convicted and now released from prison the police are presuming he's responsible for Eve's untimely demise too. The third woman is Victoria, a Detective Inspector investigating the murder. Melody hasn't coped well over the years and has changed from a confident young woman to someone who hides herself away. Too scared to leave the house, she only ventures outside if she has someone with her and keeps herself busy by throwing herself into the plans for her wedding to fiance Sam in a few months' time.


I loved this novel and despite not having been in a reading mood (very unusual for me) I started this the same afternoon it arrived from Headline. I struggled to put it down; a cliche I know but true. It has everything a fan of psychological thrillers will enjoy and expect; twists, secrets gradually revealed throughout the story and to be kept guessing as to the identity of the murderer until the very end. 


I also enjoyed the author's first novel Precious Thing; you can read my review for it here and I shall certainly be reading any future novels by her. 

 

Rating: 4 out of 5

 

Thanks to Headline and Bookbridgr for a copy of this book 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.