Monday 17 June 2013

Instructions For A Heatwave

I read Instructions For A Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell  in April 2013:

The story starts in London during the heatwave of 1976 when Robert leaves the house to go to the shops but doesn't return. His wife Gretta and their three grown up children Michael Francis, Monica and Aoife are brought back together to try and find out why he chose to disappear and where he's gone to.

Michael has got marital problems, Monica is married and living in Gloucestershire struggling with her relationship with her step daughters and Aoife, living in America, hasn't seen her family for a few years and only sent her Mum a postcard at Christmas. Along with Gretta and Robert they all have secrets which are revealed as the story progresses.

I absolutely loved this book and the quality of the writing reminded me of Anne Tyler (whose books I enjoy a lot). I'd heard a lot of good things about this one before I read it and it certainly didn't disappoint me.

WARNING: If you read this novel do expect other things to get pushed to the side, I didn't watch much TV or listen to the radio, housework got left and I had to force myself to put the book down so I could go and pick my children up from school

1 comment:

  1. Our firm, Bostick Communications, distributes press releases via e-mail for our clients who are authors.  These releases make contacts, such as yourself, aware of new books that are available for review.
     
    We would like to add you to that database to receive releases from our clients. 
     
    You will receive one press release per day on the average. You have the opportunity to specify certain genres that you are interested in to reduce the number of releases you receive, if you wish.
     
    There is no obligation on your part and you may unsubscribe at any time.
     
    Thank you for your time to consider our service.
     
    Best,
    Ken Eason
    Bostick Communications

    www.bostickcommunications.com

    bostickops@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.