Monday 17 June 2013

The Night Rainbow by Claire King

The Night Rainbow by Claire King isn't my usual type of book but I'm so glad I gave it a try:

This story is told from the point of view of five year old Pea (short for Peony). She lives in Southern France with her pregnant mother who is depressed following the death of Pea's father and spends the summer with her little sister Margot playing in the countryside, they make friends with Claude, a man who lives nearby, and his dog.
I wasn't sure if I would like this book as child narrators can be a difficult thing to get right and although Pea does come across as slightly older than five I absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure at first and it did take me a little while to get into but once I did I couldn't put it down. It's beautifully written and I could easily picture the meadows and trees in the sunshine despite reading it during a very cold, snowy few days in March.
It made me laugh and cry, I was sorry when I had finished it and this impressive debut is a book I will read again.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your new book blog Sam! I liked this one too.
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay, I'm enjoying it so far and it's very addictive. Finally worked out how to add my photo to my blog as well.

      Delete
    2. It is very addictive indeed, especially at first, though the addiction can last too! :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.