Friday 25 July 2014

Book Beginnings On Fridays (Crooked Heart)

Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader and as she says the idea of this meme is for you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. There's a linky list on the website and you can use #BookBeginnings on Twitter.

 

My book beginning is Crooked Heart by Lissa Evans. It's due to be published by Doubleday on 6th November 2014 and I've been lucky enough to receive an ARC from Netgalley.

 

She was losing words. At first it was quite funny. 'The box of things,' Mattie would say, waving her mauve-veined hands vaguely around the kitchen.

 

Crooked Heart 

 

Book Description:

 

When Noel Bostock – aged ten, no family - is evacuated from London to escape the Blitz, he ends up living in St Albans with Vera Sedge - thirty-six and drowning in debts and dependents. Always desperate for money, she's unscrupulous about how she gets it.

Noel's mourning his godmother, Mattie, a former suffragette. Brought up to share her disdain for authority and eclectic approach to education, he has little in common with other children and even less with Vee, who hurtles impulsively from one self-made crisis to the next. The war's thrown up new opportunities for making money but what Vee needs (and what she's never had) is a cool head and the ability to make a plan.

On her own, she's a disaster. With Noel, she's a team.

Together they cook up an idea. Criss-crossing the bombed suburbs of London, Vee starts to make a profit and Noel begins to regain his interest in life.

But there are plenty of other people making money out of the war and some of them are dangerous. Noel may have been moved to safety, but he isn't actually safe at all…

 

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Hate to admit it. I've lost a word a time or two myself. Feels embarrassing. Glad you like your book from Doubleday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds like it could be great though a bit sad as it sounds like Mattie may be developing Alzheimers. Glad you're enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover is absolutely gorgeous! I forget words myself sometimes but they always come back to me afterwards. I hate it when I can't be clear about what I need or want! Thanks for sharing :) Hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fascinating book set in an era that I'd like to know more about. I'm curious about how a 10-year-old and a grown woman team up to make money. I'll be watching for the release of this one.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: REMIX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting cover. Very different.

    I like London and during the war makes it an even better read. I hope they aren't cheating people.

    ENJOY your read.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  6. That doesn't sound good, poor Mattie :(
    But the book itself does sound intriguing.

    My BB and 56 :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.